Saturday, October 13, 2012

Sign-Posting/Wayfinding


I use this picture as a statement to show that all theories are not cut and dry like most people like to think they are. The sign above for instance gives direction and graphical information to allow the tourist or local for arguments sake as this picture is from Antwerp, Belgium. People interpret information differently as well they should. Not all people are of the same ethnicity nor do they all speak the same language. With that being said, we need to start appreciating that theories are exactly that, a theory. Times have changed and will keep changing and we should not segregate theories as a lot of them intertwine. 

Pros!

The pros of sign-posting is that sign-posting allows us to interpret information presented to us in a way that will allow us to make an ethical or logical decision to do something. That something can be lead in the direction going in a certain direction or just appreciating the surroundings that the sign is pointing too. That leads me into Wayfinding which is also a part of this. Now, I know that sign-posting is a part of Wayfinding but honestly they operate on the same level. Under Wayfinding we build  a cognitive map that allows us to navigate through the information given to us to a destination. Can't sign-posting do that as well? Essentially they are in the same bowl.

Cons!

The cons of this is there is no universal language to do this in. There will always be someone that will not understand what the information is trying to tell them. Pictures are easy to understand as images; which can be information design; are universal but words are not. Another con of this is the designer is assuming this is what the viewer wants to see. Not all viewers will see the same thing that most others may. It then comes down to the logistics of what is correct and what is drawing the line. Where is the target audience? It's hard to do that with Sign-Posting.

Utilization!

As far as utilizing this in my blog, I would like to say that I would however I do not blog as much as maybe I should. Nor do I use Facebook. For dealing with media, I really don't use a lot of it. Kind of sad really.

My post word capped.. that is sad.

4 comments:

  1. Hi. I like that sign that you have and you are correct it is hard when in foreign country and there is a language barrier and many public places should have signs in different languages for directions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some things we think are "universal" and yet even simple pictograms can still fall short. Sign posting must be kept simple and almost important as being understandable, location must be considered othewise the clearest sign is useless. Remember: location, location, location!
    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jeff+dunham+achmed+clip+location%2c+location%2c+location&view=detail&mid=5FE7DA72C5BC55FACF1B5FE7DA72C5BC55FACF1B&first=0&qpvt=jeff+dunham+achmed+clip+location%2c+location%2c+location

    Not sure why, or if the clip may have to copy pasted. Go to 7:15ish. Enjoy and like your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See up until yours and the last blog I read I just lumped sign posting and wayfinding into the same thing in my head. To me they do the same thing, a sign helps you find your way and wayfinding uses signs (most of the time) to help get the idea across. Love your comment about a theory being just that...a theory! That's one of the things I haven't stopped to think about yet on this topic. In theory they work but in reality...they always do not work. I'm not much of a social junky myself either so as far as using it on a blog...I don't have much specific need for it. As far as standard language goes I think that's what graphic designers are striving for with their graphics. Check out AIGA website for the top 50 user friendly (I think that's what they refer to them as) Great post!
    Kim Miller

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zack,

    I liked the picture you used and you description of wayfinding was clear and easy to understand. The thing that interested me the most and made me want to comment was how you described that not everyone will see the signs in the same way. It reminded me of human-centered design, which is what I did my post on, but with human-centered design, you have a better understanding of your target audience. How you described this issue with wayfinding made me realize that although it seems like the most efficient and effective way of designing information, it does have downfalls. I can't imagine being the person who has to design signs in say, an airport that has a huge number of flights to and from other countries where many people don't speak the native language.

    Jessica Miller

    ReplyDelete