Sunday, January 29, 2012

Artist Statement

   When I was growing up everything I saw that interested me even in the little bit I drew. I would grab a piece of paper and just start drawing. It was never good but to me it didn't matter. It was about doing something that I enjoyed. I use to copy pictures all the time. My grandma still has a picture that I drew a copy of from a picture that my brother drew. I loved crayons, mostly because the colors were so vivid and abundant that I had so many choices.
   It wasn't until about I was 15 when I really started to enjoy art for what it was. I was never the greatest artist by no means but I always had a great idea behind my art. Sometimes my artwork would come out as mediocre but was brilliant with the idea behind it. My teacher always told me that I should aspire to be an artist someday. I told him art was alright, but I really loved computers. He told me "Computers may be what you love but you were meant to do art."
   When I draw, I use pencils and a charcoal medium. I stay away from color because I want people to see the artwork at the bare minimum. It allows the mind to see the picture for what it is and not manipulated into an idea that might have been shaped by the colors used. I also find that shadow interpretation is easy to manipulate with a grey color scale.
   Though I can draw outside of the computer, I primarily stick to Adobe Photoshop to manipulate images or create images from a digital perspective. As I go throughout my daily life, I tend to admire everything around me and see it from a artistic point of view. For instance, looking a building and seeing a tree vine run up the side of it and how it conforms to the different crevices of the architecture. 
    My goal is that throughout my continuous learning experience to more fully understand all of the tools that are readily available to me and create an end product that someone can look at and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Zach - I love the look of your blog, but I must admit I found it difficult to read some of the text since the mushrooms have some very light portions which fight with the white.
    I like your artist's statement You describe your artistic "journey" and give the reader a glimpse of the future. I would take another look at your last sentence, especially the last phrase "even at a basic level". I am not sure what that means and I was left with the impression that it was somehow condescending, which I am sure you did not intend. Your last sentence is important, since it is the final impression. - Anne

    ReplyDelete